Licences for works/alterations

Home Property Services Licences for works/alterations

Licences for works/alterations

Tenants or occupiers often want to alter their premises or carry out works to them for which they may need a formal written licence under the terms of their lease or transfer.

Granting the Licence

SLC Solicitors can act on behalf of landlords, management companies and developers, whose responsibility it is to grant those licences to ensure that the rest of the buildings or estate is safeguarded, that the works are carried out to an adequate standard and that remedies are put in place for breach of the tenant’s obligations. If the works to be completed include the installation of hard floors, a new heating system or any wet areas like a new kitchen, bathroom or utility, then a licence for the works is essential. This is also the case for any structural alterations to the property such as removing walls, changing room sizes or replacing windows and doors which can have serious implications on the structure and fire safety of the building. The cost of any legal fees is payable by the tenant requiring the licence.

Where the works are an improvement it is crucial that the consent is given within a reasonable time from the request so advice is crucial

All we require is:

  • The lease of the flat [or the TP1 (transfer) if the property is freehold]
  • A plan of the proposed works;
  • A schedule of the proposed works.

We will then liaise with the tenant to bring the matter to a speedy conclusion.


Complete the form below and one of our specialists will call you to discuss:

Knowledge Centre

Read our guides...

Industry News

Queen Elizabeth II

SLC Solicitors is deeply saddened to hear of the passing of Queen Elizabeth II. Throughout...

  • Newsletter signup
For more information on how we will use this data, please click here .