Breach of Lease
Breach of Lease
Tenants of residential flats may breach the terms of their lease by doing something which is prohibited under the lease.
At SLC we are experts in taking action for breach – these cases can include:
- Failing to keep property in repair
- Installation of laminate flooring causing noise nuisance
- Unlawful erection of satellite dishes.
- Failing to provide notice of transfer or other notices required by the terms of the lease
- Short term lets; “AirBnB” style lets
- Keeping pets in contravention of lease terms
- Property alterations without consent
- Parking or abandoning vehicles (including boats) on estate roads or other tenant’s parking spaces
Tenants who breach a lease (for example by hoarding) are often vulnerable with complex needs. Our team has a wealth of experience of dealing with vulnerable tenants in a way that reflects positively on the reputation of your business.
We have a clear and concise fee structure offering you peace of mind
We provide straightforward advice on the terms of the lease and your rights to claim costs from the Leaseholder. We make it as easy as possible for you to make an informed decision about the risks and benefits to you by explaining in detail any action that needs to be taken.
To make the referral process easy for you (where the lease allows for recovery from the tenant), we usually do not request funds on account.
We aim to recover the contractual costs from the leaseholder minimising the strain of litigation on your cashflow.
Depending on the wording of the lease the costs are very often recoverable directly from the tenant via an administration charge.
We will provide you with a reasonable quotation for the costs of any litigation beyond an initial letter. We review our costs regularly and we will keep you informed of any changes as the matter progresses. We will review the defence raised and give you advice of the merits of the defence
We can enforce an Order through a variety of means including forfeiture and possession proceedings.
Your dedicated account manager will explain our recovery process to you in full in advance of any work being undertaken, keeping you up to date throughout.
SLC Solicitors will provide
- A dedicated account manager acting as your single point of contact
- Regular reporting issued at the frequency of your choosing
- A clear and concise fee structure offering you peace of mind
- Expert advice from our specialist lawyers
Complete the form below and one of our specialists will call you to discuss:
The top 5 things to know about extending the lease of a flat
You might already know that a leasehold interest is a decreasing asset which will need...